Causes, Symptoms, Treatment of Migraines
Do you or someone you know suffer from migraines? If so, your not the only one. An estimated 11 percent of American people live with migraines at some point in their life. Migraines can make it difficult to sleep at night or think clearly during the day. If migraine medications have not provided lasting relief; you may consider other more natural treatments like chiropractic care and massage therapy.
Common Causes of Migraines
Migraines can be triggered by many things, including but not limited to: auto accidents/head or neck trauma, sleep difficulty, hormonal fluctuations, allergies, or high stress levels. An estimated 75% of headaches may originate in the neck. When left untreated, the mildest of headaches can progress into severe migraines .
- Prodrome- experience subtle changes; neck stiffness, uncontrollable yawning, depression, irritability.
- Aura (warning symptom)-flashes of light, vision loss, pins and needles sensation in arms or legs
- Attack- pain on one or both sides of head, pulsating or throbbing head pain, light headedness, blurred vision, sensitivity to lights, sounds or smells, difficulty sleeping, and even nausea or vomiting.
- Postdrome- feeling drained of energy reserves thus wiped out.
- Headache with nausea, vomiting, or sensitivity to light
- The AO Treatment is natural, gentle alignment of the cervical spine for relief
- Deep Tissue Massage Therapy can release trigger points in the shoulders and neck. Thus, Massage Therapy can improve blood flow and range of motion in shoulders and neck. Pressure points in the temples of the head can also help relieve headaches along with peppermint essential oil.
- Cervical Traction relieves nerve pressure in the joints of the neck.