We’ve all been there. Friday night, getting ready to go out on the town with all of your friends, so you decide to put on your favorite pair of jeans - you know, the ones that make your butt look good. The ones that you bought before you gained the freshman 15, before the baby weight, or before you started working a regular 9-5 sitting at your desk all day. You slip them on past each of your legs, get ready to fasten your top button and there it is. The extra 5 inches of belly fat you thought you could hide under your shirt, poking out over the top of your struggling-to-stay-fastened pants button. It seems as though an expanding waistline is just inevitably the price to pay for getting older. Sound familiar?
If you’ve ever experienced anything similar to this, then you may be like the 35.7 percentage of Americans that are considered overweight today. According to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, today more than 1 in 3 Americans are considered overweight or obese. Obesity has become an increasing regarded as a major health issue within the past decades. Studies show that obesity can lead to diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, cancer, high blood pressure and many more. Instead of simply accepting the extra pounds that sit across your midsection, here are a few tips to get you to lose those last 10 pounds and back into your skinny jeans.
Top 9 Ways To Lose Weight From Your Belly
1. Adding fat-burning foods in your diet: Treating your body like a temple is an important first step to getting rid of belly fat. Feeding your body with only organic foods or food that can be found in nature such as fruits, vegetables and clean meats is vital for your health and all around well being.
Increasing your metabolism is one of the fastest ways to burn of belly fat. Focus on eating real foods, especially veggies, when you’re trying to lose belly fat. This will help not only get rid of the unwanted visceral fat but also give your body the vital nutrients it needs to function properly. (1)
- Eating foods that are rich in protein and fiber is also a good source of nutrition if you’re trying to lose belly fat such as fruits, vegetables, clean meats like fish and chicken, nuts etc.
2. Staying away from foods with high levels of sugar: Refined sugars are the root of all evil. Avoiding these is detrimental to maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and avoiding packing on extra pounds to the midsection. Most people unknowingly consume these kinds of sugars because they are so prominent in the foods we buy at the grocery store.
When you eat a lot of refined sugar, the liver gets overloaded with fructose, and is forced to turn it all into fat (2).
Numerous studies have shown that excess sugar, mostly due to the large amounts of fructose, can lead to increased accumulation of fat in the belly
Try and avoid drinking sugar enriched beverages such as juices, energy drinks, and soda
3. Eating mindfully: We’ve all fallen victim to absentmindedly downing an entire bag of chips on the couch, while catching up with our favorite tv shows. When you’re not paying attention to portion sizing of the foods, it’s easy to get distracted and consuming a lot more food than you originally intended on.
Slowing down the pace in which you consume food can help you be more conscious of how much exactly you’re eating.
Meal prepping is a great way to not only control the portion size of each of the meals you consume daily, but is time and cost effective.
Facing emotional or comfort eating head on by figuring out better ways to handle stressors in your life. (3)
4. Staying active: Keeping up with a steady workout routine is perhaps the most obvious tip to avoiding belly fat. What most don’t take into consideration is that studies have shown cardio related exercising to significantly reduce belly fat, rather than simply just using ab-targeting workouts.
Running, jogging, cycling, and walking in some of Tallahassee great parks is a great way to not only cut down belly fat, but also improve overall cardiovascular health
HIIT or high intensity interval training workouts such as running intermittent sprints on the treadmill have been proved to reduce belly fat.
Doing kettlebell workouts are also a good alternative to add into your workouts and can potentially lose ~800-900 and hour! (4)
5. Chiropractic Adjustments: Although not known by most people, studies have shown that chiropractic treatments can actually benefit patients struggling to lose weight. The main advantage of natural weight loss programs over other remedies is that it on patients, it enhances their flexibility and also eases aches and pains to make exercise and sleep easier.
Most will help you lose weight not only for a short time, but for a prolonged period of time. Once you achieve the desired weight, the chiropractor will help you maintain it for a lifetime. (5)
Receiving lower back adjustments from a chiropractor can “create a healthier body environment where burning calories through more physical activity becomes possible. If the adjustment helps alleviate chronic pain, you may also get off pain medications — which can sometimes have the nasty side effect of weight gain — and relieve physical stress on your body.” (6)
Chiropractic adjustments may also help get rid of adipose tissue, which may lead to better muscle tone, making it harder for the body to put on excess weight.
6. Receiving therapeutic massages: Who doesn’t love a R&R while they are simultaneously losing weight? Chiropractic massage has a similar effect to spinal manipulation. It has been seen to be useful in promoting emotional clarity, reducing stress and bringing about a positive effect on your general state of health and well-being.(7)
Massages can help tone your muscles and strengthen them
When the muscles become firm and well-toned, the conversion of excess fats stored in your tissue to muscle will occur
Chiropractors also may recommend different natural supplements to aid in weight loss as well
7. Getting enough sleep: Have you ever had a night of tossing and turning only getting the bare minimum of sleep, which led to you feeling sluggish the entire next day? There’s a reason for that. A 16-year study of more than 68,000 women found those who slept less than 5 hours per night were significantly more likely to gain weight than those who slept 7 hours or more per night. (8)
When you don’t get the proper amount of sleep your body is less able to control your hormone functions such as stress which can lead to irritability
People who don’t get enough sleep also typically don’t have the energy to exercise which can lead to increased weight gain, especially around the stomach.
8. Reducing stress levels: Dealing with stress is something that everyone has grown accustomed to. Whether it’s your job, relationship, or financials, stress seems to constantly be coming for us. But having to deal with chronic stress can lead to unfortunate side effects such as “raising your risk for heart disease, diabetes, mental disorders and autoimmune diseases” (9) and, you guessed it - weight gain/poor eating habits.
When your body deals with stress, it takes a toll on your metabolism ultimately slowing down the rate in which your body breaks down fats
Using relaxation methods such as meditation, exercise, or even aromatherapy can alter your stress levels in a positive way.
9. GOAL SETTING: Setting goals that are attainable is perhaps one of the most important things to consider when trying to lose weight. Most people make the mistake of setting unrealistic goals for themselves, and never end up following through.
By setting small, attainable goals along the way throughout your weight loss journey, you’ll be more motivated to continue when you see slow progress happening, rather than getting discouraged because you weren’t able to lose 30 pounds in a month
As opposed to saying you want to drop down from a size 12 to a size 6, try making the commitment that you’re going to work out at least 3 times this week.
Remember: progress does not happen overnight!
Dr. Pragle is a trained expert in combining top-notch scientific research & natural supplements to create individual balance. His firm belief that each person is a unique being & should be treated as such is a paramount concept in his development of specific, individualized wellness protocols using state of the art nutrient formulas for pain relief and weight loss.
For more information about Pragle Chiropractic And Massage please call 850 508 5951.
posted by Dr Eric Pragle