Posted by Dr. Eric Pragle, DC, LMT
Has your back every hurt or been sore? If so your not alone, approximately 75% of americans have had back pain at some point in their life with many people suffering on a chronic basis. It's so easy to hurt your back from a certain movement, lifting something or even sleeping in a worn out bed can all contribute to the onset of back pain.
There are many different forms of back pain from a persistent dull ache to a sudden sharp pain or even shooting pains down the leg, such as sciatica or lumbar disc bulge. There are many causes of low back pain from sprain/strains, to fractures, or other accidents especially car accidents/car crashes and sports related back pain. Many people develop back pain from being overweight, sedentary or from wearing improper footwear or sleeping in an old worn out bed. During the spring season, many people over engage in yard work or house work and injure their backs.
Considerations for Relieving Back Pain
- Get more exercise with walking being the easiest to do. Physical activity is important for circulating the blood and helping to strengthen the back muscles. Walking 30-40 minutes a day for 4-5 days a week is ideal.
- Stay Lean. Extra weight on the midsection can put more stress and strain on the spine and surrounding muscles. Staying closer to your ideal weight is much better for your health in a respects.
- If you smoke, try stopping- very important to all aspects of your health.
- Sleeping well. Sleeping on your back or side with proper pillows and bed is crucial for a healthy and happy back, otherwise everytime you sleep the spine, nerves and surrounding muscles get aggravated, making it very difficult to heal.j
- Stretching, gently is very important to keeping thehip and back healthy and happy. Due to the extended time most of us spend sitting, our muscles get very tight which can affect the alignment of the spine and the nerves which come thru the spine.
- Many people benefit from using cryotherapy or ice on a recently injured back; it can help reduce the swelling and pressure on the nerves which speeds up the healing process.
These are some basic considerations to relieving back pain. Please visit Pragle Chiropractic, www.praglechiro.com or call (850) 508 5951 to book an appointment to have your spine alignment check. At Pragle Chiropractic we implement gentle spine treatments which take the pressure off the nerves and allow the body to heal naturally. Our signature treatments include the AO Treatment, Back Treatment, Spinal decompression therapy and massage therapy. Also, the Foot Sanctuary can be an effective way to relieving back pain without actually treating the area directly. The foot soak with essential oils and sea salts along with foot reflexology can be a great help. We are located at 1820 Riggins Rd. #1 , Tallahassee, FL 32308.