Posted by Dr. Eric Pragle, DC, LMT
There are many different forms of hip pain from a persistent dull ache to a sudden sharp pain or even shooting pains down the leg. There are many causes of hip pain from sprain/strains, to fractures, or other accidents especially whiplash or sports related hip pain. Many people develop hip pain from being overweight, excessive sitting or from wearing improper shoes/foot support or sleeping in an old worn out bed or using an ill fitted pillow.
Simple considerations for Prevent Hip Pain
- Get more exercise with walking being the easiest to do. Physical activity is important for circulating the blood and helping to strengthen the back and neck muscles. Walking 30-40 minutes a day for 4-5 days a week is ideal.
- Stay Lean. Extra weight on the midsection can put more stress and strain on the spine and surrounding muscles. Staying closer to your ideal weight is much better for your health in a respects.
- If you smoke, try stopping- very important to all aspects of your health.
- Sleeping well. Sleeping on your back or side with proper pillows and bed is crucial for a healthy and happy neck and back otherwise every time you sleep the spine, nerves and surrounding muscles get aggravated, making it very difficult to heal.
- Stretching, gently is very important to keeping the hip and back healthy and happy. Due to the extended time most of us spend sitting, our muscles get very tight which can affect the alignment of the spine and the nerves which come thru the spine.
- Keeping head in neutral position when looking at wireless devices or computer; sciatica is increasingly common condition of hip pain due to this constant strain.
- If you have to sit excessively, try to get up and move around every 30 minutes.
These are some basic considerations to prevent hip pain or sciatica. Please visit Pragle Chiropractic, www.praglechiro.com or call (850) 508 5951 to book an appointment to have your spine alignment check. We are located at 1820 Riggins Rd. #1 Tallahassee, Fl 32308.