Posted by Dr. Eric Pragle, DC, LMT
Has your neck every hurt or been sore? If so your not alone, approximately 60% of Americans have had neck pain at some point in their life with many people suffering on a regular basis.
There are many different forms of neck pain from a persistent dull ache to a sudden sharp pain or even shooting pains down the arm. There are many causes of neck pain from sprain/strains, to fractures, or other accidents especially whiplash or sports related neck pain. Many people develop neck pain from being overweight, sedentary or from wearing improper footwear or sleeping in an old worn out bed or using an ill fitted pillow.
Simple considerations for Prevent Neck Pain
- Get more exercise with walking being the easiest to do. Physical activity is important for circulating the blood and helping to strengthen the back and neck muscles. Walking 30-40 minutes a day for 4-5 days a week is ideal.
- Stay Lean. Extra weight on the midsection can put more stress and strain on the spine and surrounding muscles. Staying closer to your ideal weight is much better for your health in a respects.
- If you smoke, try stopping- very important to all aspects of your health.
- Sleeping well. Sleeping on your back or side with proper pillows and bed is crucial for a healthy and happy neck and back otherwise every time you sleep the spine, nerves and surrounding muscles get aggravated, making it very difficult to heal.j
- Stretching, gently is very important to keeping the neck healthy and happy. Due to the extended time most of us spend sitting, our muscles get very tight which can affect the alignment of the spine and the nerves which come thru the spine.
- Keeping head in neutral position when looking at wireless devices or computer; text neck is increasingly common condition of neck strain due to this constant strain.
These are some basic considerations to prevent neck pain. Please visit Pragle Chiropractic, www.praglechiro.com or call (850) 508 5951 to book an appointment to have your spine alignment check. We are located at 1820 Riggins Rd. #1 Tallahassee, Fl 32308.